Thursday, January 7, 2010

Today I talk crafting


As much as I enjoy raw food and sharing information it is a distant contender for my time. I am a crafter. It started with glue and buttons at my gramma's house as a little kid and continues to this day. I always loved art class. I'm not an artist - I can't draw well, I'm not a sculptor or a painter, but getting dirty and making something pretty, if not beautiful, has always made me happy. In high school I started sewing to help out the theatre group. Then I started experimenting to make my own clothes (we won't discuss those failures). In college I taught myself to knit and made the worlds ugliest blanket, but kept my sanity. When I was out on my own I started sewing again to enhance my wardrobe. My first job was at a fabric store so that fed my addiction. I did a lot of sewing over the years, including alterations for a bridal shop to earn money for a down payment on our first house. But I was easily frustrated as well, I tried beading but that made me swear a lot as well. Finally I settled into stamping, I went to a party because my boss invited me. I bought some stamps because I felt guilty, then the addiction took hold I went nuts. I moved to a new job and found a whole crew of stampers to chat and stamp with. We fed each other's addictions and had card exchanges and stamp parties, and basically went nuts together.

DH loves my stamping - no more buying cards, it was relatively quiet and I stopped swearing. I have enough stamping supplies to keep me in ink and paper for the rest of my natural life, and well beyond that I'm sure. However, stamping is not terribly travel friendly. I needed something to keep my hands busy on a plane trip to Europe. I went for the old standby, the long forgotten crochet. I visited my grandmother for some lessons before I left. She taught me when I was a kid so I would stay out of her work, I could make a chain and that's about all. At 29 she taught me how to read a pattern and make the basic stitches. I then set off for Europe and crocheted my way across 'the pond'.

Little did anyone know how crochet would take over my life. I am obsessed. I think about it all the time. I try to figure out how to make new shapes, how to improve patterns I'm using, how to get more crochet done. I crochet every single day. I still stamp. I go on beading jags. I have even learned the proper way to knit and am making a couple of sweaters. None of these things can compare to the comfort I feel when I crochet. I've dabbled in crochet design and get the most satisfaction from those projects. However, there are so many wonderful patterns out there my to-do list is longer than I can manage.
The crazy crafting chatter will only continue ...

1 comment:

  1. Really enjoying your blog. Keep it up. I was wondering if you knew of anywhere to get knitting/yarn themed stamps?

    ReplyDelete